Thursday, March 1, 2012

March Is Here

and I am a little bit Irish...

no, really I am.*
I have loved learning more about my Irish heritage.
My son, Derek has a real love for the Celtic ring called the "Claddagh", 
pronounced “cla” as in “class” and “ddagh” pronounced “da” as in “dad".
 He even had it drawn on his arm.
(He wanted to see my face when he showed me his "tattoo"
I liked the drawing, glad it was just an ink pen)

When he gave me my Christmas gift it made me almost cry, because I know how much the symbolism of the  Claddagh means to him
and that he would share it with me.



 The Claddagh design is used on the traditional wedding ring of the Irish.
The Claddagh is often placed on betrothal bands to represent holding a lover's heart in one's hands. "With these hands I give you my heart and I crown it with my love."

Claddagh Symbolism:
 The crown symbolizes loyalty.
The hands symbolize friendship.
The heart symbolizes love.
http://marriage.about.com/cs/rings/a/claddaghring.htm


*my mother was a Berryhill. Her family was part of the Scotch-Irish who came to America between 1685 - 1720. Living in Lancaster Co., PA,  to Mecklenburg, N.C.

No comments: