Monday, June 13, 2011

How High WILL It Go

We live on the beautiful Snake River.
This year our area received its fair share of snow and rain.
This is not a bad thing...
Well, not usually...
It has been several years since the last time that each morning when I get up, the first thing I do is to see where the water is on the dock.
This year...
It has been on it a couple of times.


The banks of the yard show where the water line has been.


The Bureau of Reclamation is saying that the area's that feed our part of the river are still above average (195%) for snow pack.
For a farming community that is very good news...
For a family that has a home on the river...
not so much.


I am seeing the water level's going down.
and the weather is a little warmer.
Hopefully that will mean no sandbags.
Though I know that there are families just a few miles from us that have 
had to start sand bagging.
Pretty Crazy..
But for my view on the river.
The chance of sandbags every few years is well worth it.

4 comments:

Saimi said...

It's very beautiful. It felt so peaceful just looking at that dock and imagining sitting on it with my feet dangling in the water.

Liz Davis said...

I almost live that close to the Great Salt Lake and let me tell you, it is making me nervous!!!

What a view!

one crazy girl said...

I understand how you feel about the water level. My parents live in a condo community that's on the Jordan River. It's running pretty high right now. Their basement hasn't flooded from natural water levels (once from a broken line that was a contractor's fault), so we're hoping for them, but they have a neighbor whose basement floods at the drop of a hat (or a single drop of rain). It's reminding me of the summer of '83.

Connie said...

I have often admired your view of the river from pictures you have posted. I agree, for that kind of view, sandbagging is a minor inconvienence.