Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Lov'n Modern Medicine/Technology

I happily wear a ICD...did I just heard you say,
"To much information"??!!
Look again...ICD...Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator, or even easier to explain a pacemaker.

See I have the scar to show for it ...many a airport security have seen this scar

With out my ICD my heart beats about

30 BPM, yes I know...Very S L OW,

with the cool little gadget 70 BPM!

Today, I went to the "pacer" cardiologist to have my neat little gadget checked and re-set. (because mine has to run all the time...it's little "memory card" gets full of all the work it has done)
"Bill" usually will turn off my pacer to see what my "natural" heart rate is...which will quickly make me go to sleep, today he didn't do that. I asked him why and he said, "that where I was alone and still had a 1 1/2 hour drive back home he would rather just leave it as it is"...I always wake up and am just fine...no problems staying awake or anything like that...Why NOW is he not turning it off?? On my way home I began to wonder what silly little pranks he and my husband pull on me...I have never checked for little mustaches drawn on my face or a
HUGE un-a-brow...But I will be checking in 6 months when I go back!




This is a model of the one I have implanted

7 comments:

Bren's Life said...

Your Dr pulls pranks on you? Now that would be a great picture that your hubby could take when your out. But we all rather have you awake then not...

Lene said...

I love that little ICD.

It has kept you here longer, oh that and a jillion pills. :)

Liz said...

You've named your ICD Bill? If not you really should find a name for your little friend!

Janiece said...

Bill is the doctor...silly, and as for a name??? hum I will have to think about that one

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Janiece,
It is amazing how all these life saving implants work:)!!
So when you set off the alarm at the airport, you have to show them your scar??? Do you carry any papers that explain that the alarm may go off??
See you later.
Deb

Jan said...

I am so glad to hear that you have a fun doctor. But I am more glad to hear that all is well. What a neat thing to have now.

Kar said...

How interesting! I'm always learning new things about you. You are so young - I'm surprised that you have needed one of those at this time in your life. Did you have a heart attack at one point? Sorry - I'm just getting to know you, so these are things I need to ask!