Monday, September 5, 2011

Are You Resting Today?

I think this stamp is so cool.
It is the perfect picture for The Family: A Proclamation to the World
 A street parade to exhibit to the public "the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations", followed by a festival for the workers and their families.
 This became the pattern for Labor Day celebrations.(1)
So,, that is the history of  Labor Day.
But, here is my real question...

Do you wear white shoes after Labor Day???
Traditionally, Labor Day is celebrated by most Americans as the symbolic end of the summer.
 In high society, and with most REAL Southern Ladies,  Labor Day is (or was) considered the last day of the year when it is fashionable for women to wear white. (1 a)
 "Can I wear White Shoes / Linen / Sandals / Straw Handbags / Seersucker / Other Warm-Weather Clothing before Memorial Day or after Labor Day?"
The Etiquette Grrls say,
"Nope. Unless you want to look like a Fashion Victim, that is."
We'll make an exception for Brides and Nurses on the White Shoes, and for Monks on the Sandals, but in all other cases, the answer is a firm no.( 1 b)
"But what if it's 90 degrees out?"
Obviously, the EGs don't think you should Suffer Heat Stroke wearing a Black Cashmere Overcoat in Winter just because you live in a Warm Climate, but we think you can be cool and seasonally-appropriate at the same time. If it's October and terribly hot, how about a little sleeveless shift dress in lightweight cotton, in a autumn-y color like brown?(2)
And then you get this answer from about.com.
I'm not sure where or when this "rule" started, but it's day has passed. I can assure you, it's just a historical version of fashion etiquette, and not an actual law. I know this for a fact, because I've done it, and I have lived to tell the tale.  Having said that, it is definitely more difficult to find white shoes during cold months. (3)
I remember always being told not to wear white shoes after Labor Day
as a girl.
The truth is I do not own a pair of white shoes.
I don't like how they make my feet look big.
So, do you wear white shoes...what about after Labor Day?



4 comments:

Lene said...

I don't wear white after labor day...or any other time of the year.

Kayleen said...

I always forget when I'm supposed to wear what.....so I figure it's lucky for people that I wear anything..... : )

SAYDA said...

That was very educational. Thanks for sharing. ;)Does that meant I have to put my white sandal away even if we have hot days and they match with something I'm wearing?

Most Happy Girl said...

All of my trainers (keds, tennis shoes, whatever do we call them now?) are white. Does that mean I'm not allowed to exercise after Labor Day?

Whenever I hear this statement, I always wonder about people living in the Southern Hemisphere. Does it mean they aren't allowed to wear white shoes during their summer? If they can, what are the holidays that mark the transition. Do they celebrate Memorial and Labor Days? So many things to think about...